RULES AND REGULATIONS
THE GIANT consists of 1200m of swimming, 98km (2900m asl) of cycling and 20 Km of running (9km track to get to the main run route with 200m of negative altitude difference + 1 laps of 7 km on a completely flat road+ LAST “hard” 4 KM which bring the athletes to the Finish line located in the down town of Livigno)
– Swim + T1: 1h
– Swim + T1 + Bike + T2: 8h00’
– Swim + T1 + Bike + T2+ 9 km run (at the end of the first segment of the run course): 9h00’ Maximum time: 10h00
– Race closure: h 18:30
There will be two transition areas. The first is next to the beach at the south-west side of the Gallo Lake of Livigno, where the race will start. The second transition area is located in Trepalle (part of the Livigno district) in Val del Pont
The entry-fee for each individual Senior and Master athlete is € 170.
reduced fee of 100€ until 31 December 2019 or until the first 100 race registrations;
110 € until 29th February 2020,
120 € until 5th May 2020;
130 € until 3 June 2020;
140 € until 1st July 2020;
150 € until 24th August 2020.
You can participate in the race with the “relay” formula (with two or three members) and the registration fee is set at € 180
reduced fee of 120€ until 3th June 2020;
150€ until 24th August 2020.
Registration will close on September 1st 2020
- The fee includes: Race pack, gadget, finisher medal, awards and pasta party.
- The regulations of the Italian Triathlon Federation (Fitri) are applicable, except for the exemptions described below. Upon registration, the athlete will undertake to comply with these regulations in every detail.
- Exemptions: The wetsuit can be made mandatory (on the basis of the rules of Fitri). The athlete can choose whether to also use neoprene swim cup, socks and gloves.
- In case unfavorable “air/water” temperatures, the swim fraction may be shortened but will always be guaranteed (except in the presence of lightning or “extraordinary” natural events)
- Every athlete is allowed to have a support team which may only collect all clothing used by the athlete during the swim and bike fraction (including the bike).
- An athlete who does not have a support team must, on their own, after finishing the race, collect their materials in T2 and Plaza Placheda where the pasta party and the awards ceremony will take place.
- The members of the support team may enter T1 and T2 only after having obtained the authorization of the judges of the race and need to show the right receipt which can be found in the race pack.
- Before the start of the race, athletes must enter the transition area to activate their chip and must then gather on the beach from where the race will start.
- Participation age: In 2020 only athletes of 20 years or older can participate
- Identity document: All athletes must be a member of the respective Triathlon federations of their country of origin. It will be possible to buy a one-day registration for athletes who are able to show a medical certificate of fitness for competitive sports obtained in Italy and valid for triathlon. When collecting the race pack the license must be presented together with an identity document.
- A penalty box will be set up in T2 where cycling infractions must be amended.
- The competitors explicitly authorize the race organization, as well as their interested parties, such as partners, sponsors and the media, to use the images and photos from the event.
Saturday, 5th September 2020
17:15 pm – Briefing in English for the “THE GIANT”
Sunday, 6th September 2020
At Plaza Placheda (Via Saroch 1098, 23030-Livigno):
6:45am – Secretariat open and race pack pack up for the “THE GIANT
At the Lake of Livigno:
7:15am Transition area open;
8:15am transition area closed,
8:30am – THE GIANT START – Livigno Stelvio Triathlon;
At Plaza Placheda (Via Saroch 1098, 23030-Livigno):
17:00pm – Pasta Party and following the awards ceremony for THE GIANT Livigno Stelvio Triathlon
Rules regarding parking and bag drop off
Parking: Athletes and supporters are not allowed to park their car close to the race start to avoid blocking the exit of athletes for the bike fraction.
They must use the parking lot of the “Aquagranda Active You” swimming pool in Via Rasia 2, Livigno, 200m from the start/T1.
Bag drop off: All athletes have to drop off their bag for T2 (which will then be brought to T2 by the organization) and if they wish also the bag for the personalized nutrition point on the Stelvio Pass and for the finish line.
The drop off will take place in front the start/T1 where is located the petrol station “Q8”
The use of a wetsuit is mandatory if the water temperature is below 16 ° C. Its use is not allowed if the water temperature is above 23 ° C. All athletes are required to wear the provided swim cap, no other caps will be allowed.
A neoprene swim cap may be worn under the swim cap of the event.
All garments used during the swim fraction must be put in the bag provided by the organization.
The road is open to ordinary traffic and the athlete must respect traffic regulations (right side of the road); it is compulsory to use a helmet (which must remain fastened throughout the cycling fraction and from the precise moment the athlete takes the bike from the rack in TA until when the athlete puts it back on the rack in TA at the end of the cycling fraction).
The following violations will have a penalty: – Violations of traffic regulations – Use of music devices and / or telephone – Drafting behind a vehicle – Using external support (athletes are not allowed to have a car follow them)
Whoever is discovered throwing away the wrapper of an energy bars, gel, the skin of a banana, etc. or any other kind of polluting material will be IMMEDIATELY DISQUALIFIED
There will be aid stations at the end of the downhill of Foscagno Pass (at about 30 km), at the top of the Stelvio (at about 55 km) and at the beginning of Foscagno pass (at about 80Km). A bag of personalized nutrition will be present at the Stelvio Pass where athletes can also get changed and eat in a special room made available by the organization. Athletes can give the organization their bag with their personal nutrition (and any clothing) before the start; the personalized nutrition point will be set up at the Stelvio pass.
The following violations have a penalty:
– Violations of traffic regulations
– Use of musical devices and / or telephone
– Use of external support: athletes cannot be followed during this fraction (there can be no runners and / or bicycles following them), it is forbidden to give supplies to athletes except for the refreshment areas provided by the organization
There will be aid station at: Km 6, Km 9.4, Km 12,6 and Km 15.8
Every athlete must drop off a specific bag that has been provided by the organization with materials for the run. The bag will be brought to T2 by the organization and the materials inside the bag can be used for the run fraction.
The judges can sanction penalties or disqualify an athlete for any violations.
Minor penalties will be indicated with a yellow card and a 5-minute stop. A third yellow card or a serious violation of the rules will lead to the athlete’s immediate disqualification (red card).
A penalty box will be set up in T2 where for penalties taken during the cycling fraction
- The use of a wetsuit can be made mandatory (if the water temperature drops below 16°); athletes can chose in this case whether to use neoprene swim cap, socks and gloves.
- The chip must be worn throughout the race. The organization must be notified if it is lost
- The race number (bib number) cannot be worn during the swim fraction including under the wetsuit. It must be clearly visible in T1
- The number must be clearly visible from behind during the bike fraction and in front during the run fraction
- The bike must be in good condition and fully functional, especially the brakes
- It is mandatory to have bright lights on the front and back of the bike
- Disc brakes are allowed
- The helmet must be approved and have the CE mark
- Replacing the bike and wheels is not allowed
- The medical team has the right to tell an athlete to stop the race at any time if they believe that the athlete is no longer able to continue
WEATHER & SAFETY
- Expected temperatures and weather conditions Water: 16° degrees or higher Air: at 1800m between 5° and 25°; at 2300m between -3° and 20°; at 2800m between -5° and 15°
- In case of cold water, fog, a large difference between the water temperature and external temperature or other weather conditions that put the safety of athletes in jeopardy, the swim fraction may be shortened.
- In case of snow or extreme conditions at the Stelvio Pass, the race route could be altered
- At the end of the race adequate refreshments will be offered
- In case of cancellation or definitive interruption of the competition for any reason beyond the control of the Organizer and in all cases of force majeure, a decision by public authorities (in particular those motivated by public health reasons, the security and the preservation of public order), any meteorological risks or actual weather conditions, the Organizer assumes no responsibility toward competitors and the registration fee will not be refunded. At the time of registration, athletes waive the right to any type of reimbursement in relation to such cancellations or interruptions.
- All athletes who have won an award must participate in the award ceremony. Athletes who are not present will not be entitled to receive the prize, whether in cash or in kind.
- Prize Pool:
If the athletes at the starting line are less than 300 the prize will be 2000 € and the first 4 finishers will be awarded
1st place: € 400.00
2nd place: € 300.00
3rd place: € 180.00
4th place: € 120.00if more than 300 athletes arrive at the finish line, the price will be 3000 € and the first 6 finishers will be awarded
1st place: € 510.00
2nd place: € 330.00
3rd place: € 270.00
4th place: € 225.00
5th place: € 105.00
6th place: € 60.00
- The climb to the Stelvio Pass will be time trialed on the basis of which a ranking will be put together. The overall best time, whether of a male or female athlete, will be awarded. The kind of award will be made known later. The athlete who has the fastest climb needs to however finish the race and her/his time should not be higher than 15% than that of the 2° finisher.
Race office and awards ceremony: Plaza Placheda, Via Saroch 1098, 23030-Livigno.
Parking (Sunday, 6 September 2020, before the start of the race): “Aquagranda Active You” Via Rasia 2, Livigno, 200m from the start/T1.
Bag Drop off (Sunday, 6 September 2020, before the start of the race): Lago di Livigno, Via Rasia, 23030-Livigno, in front of T1 and start where there is petrol station “Q8”
Start and T1: Lago di Livigno, Via Rasia, 23030-Livigno
T2: Via del Pont, 23030-Livigno (Loc. Trepalle)
Finish line: Down town of Livigno, Via Ostaria, 23030-Livigno
Accomodation will be managed by the Agency for the Promotion and Development of Tourism in Livigno
Agency for the Promotion and Development of Tourism in Livigno
Via Saroch 1098 c/o Plaza Placheda
23030 Livigno (SO)
T +39 0342 977840
F +39 0342 977849